ORGANIZED BY : ASEAN-Korea Centre and ASEAN University Network (AUN)
SUPPORTED BY : Seoul National University Asia Center, Chulalongkorn University ASEAN Studies Center, ASEAN Secretariat, ROK Ministry of Foreign Affairs
With the beginning of sectoral dialogue partnership in 1989, ASEAN and Korea have become strong partners in all aspects of political-security, economy and socio-culture. ASEAN is Korea’s 2nd largest trading partner and 3rd largest investment destination, while Korea is ASEAN’s fifth largest partner in respective areas. ASEAN is also the number one tourist destination for Koreans, and the people-to-people exchanges between the two regions has reached 9 million. Since the inauguration of the Moon Jae-in administration in 2017, Korea has announced the New Southern Policy, targeting the ASEAN region to further deepen this partnership.
Against such backdrop, the ASEAN-Korea Centre, an inter-governmental organization mandated to promote economic and socio-cultural cooperation between ASEAN and Korea, is hosting the 2018 ASEAN-Korea Academic Essay Contest inviting students of ASEAN and Korea to share their perspectives and knowledge on ASEAN and ASEAN-Korea relations. The young perspectives of the youth of ASEAN and Korea will contribute toward building a true, genuine and lasting partnership.
THEMES : (Select one of the following four themes)
1. ASEAN’s Contributions for Peace on the Korean Peninsula
On 27 April 2018, the leaders of South and North Korea announced the Panmunjom Declaration as a result of the 3rd inter-Korean Summit. This was followed by the 1st DRPK-US Summit held on 12 June 2018 in Singapore, the ASEAN Chair for 2018. How has ASEAN contributed for the peace and stability of the Korean Peninsula and how will it continue to maintain its roles?
2. Forging Towards a Prosperous ASEAN Economic Community
Among the three pillars of the ASEAN Community, AEC is arguably the most important pillar with aims to achieve the vision of regional economic integration which collectively becomes the third largest economy in Asia and the sixth largest in the world. How can AEC achieve such deep economic integration? What are the visions and policies that can be utilized, and what are the obstacles to overcome for ASEAN to achieve this goal?
3. Unity in Diversity: Building an ASEAN Identity
As the phrase “Unity in Diversity” suggests, ASEAN showcases true diversity with more than 300 ethnic groups, 700 languages, numerous religions and folk cultures within its 10 Member States. Although ASEAN has developed as a regional community over the past 50 years, there is yet to be an ASEAN identity that brings its people together as one, as the perception of ASEAN identity is still underdeveloped. How should ASEAN Member States cooperate to build the sense of an ASEAN identity? How can ASEAN truly achieve “One Vision, One Identity, One Community”, as reflected in its motto?
4. A Cooperation Model for Korea’s New Southern Policy
Since its inauguration in May 2017, Korea’s Moon administration announced the New Southern Policy which promised to elevate its diplomatic ties with ASEAN to the level of four major powers around the Korean Peninsula. What should the Korean government do to effectively promote the ASEAN-Korea relations, and how can ASEAN Member States contribute for the success of the New Southern Policy?
The contest invites all ASEAN and Korean undergraduate and graduate students.
LANGUAGE : English or Korean
※ Abstract for both English and Korean essays must be written in English.
DEADLINE & REQUIREMENTS :
Submission: Midnight 30 September 2018 (Korea Standard Time)
Winner Announcement: 5 November 2018
Required Documents : Essay, Abstract, Application form
Max. 4,000 words or 10 pages
Times New Roman
Max. 3,000 words or 10 pages
|*Abstract: 500 words / 1 page|
- Essays must be submitted and formatted in Microsoft Word.
- In-text citations must be made in APA format (sixth edition).
- 10 ASEAN Winners (1 from each ASEAN Member State)
- 5 Korean Winners
- Winners will be invited to the ASEAN-Korea Youth Academic Workshop to present their essays.
- Selected papers among the winning essays will be compiled and published by the ASEAN-Korea Centre and the Korean Herald as the publication series Young Perspectives.
- Winners will be offered an opportunity for a study trip (4 nights/5 days) either to an ASEAN country or to Korea based on their nationalities:
a) Korean winners – Visits to the ASEAN-Korea Centre, universities, research institutes, and cultural sites in ASEAN.
b) ASEAN winners – Visits to the ASEAN-Korea Centre, universities, research institutes and cultural sites in Korea.
※ Travel expenses will be covered by the ASEAN-Korea Centre.
All eligible entries received will be assessed by a qualified panel of judges chosen by the ASEAN-Korea Centre, ASEAN University Network, Seoul National University Asia Center, Chulalongkorn University ASEAN Studies Center.
- All requirements must be submitted electronically by the submission deadline on http://bit.do/2018akessay
- Reference materials must be properly cited. About the plagiarism policy, refer to www.plagiarism.org
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Only original and unpublished essays will be considered for assessment.
RECOMMENDED REFERENCES :
All applicants are kindly recommended to visit the ASEAN E-Library (http://elibrary.aseankorea.org) and read the key documents on ASEAN Community and ASEAN-Korea relations including ASEAN Community Vision 2025, ASEAN-ROK Plan of Action to Implement the Joint Declaration on Strategic Partnership for Peace and Prosperity 2016-2020, Joint Statement of the ASEAN-ROK Commemorative Summit.